Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Tagging: A mixed review...

This task did not go quite as smoothly as the others. In fact, I have a message out to Delicious tech support to help solve the problem, which I just couldn't manage to figure out myself. It's probably an issue with the settings on my Internet Explorer (ver 6); although I changed cookie settings as indicated on the support forum, and uninstalled and reinstalled the IE add-on, I just couldn't get the sidebars to display tags and bookmarked pages. Even if signed in, the sidebar indicated that I wasn't signed in! So, although I could bookmark pages and apply tags, the only way I could view these was by going to my main planetzanet page -- kind of takes away from one of the main benefits of using this! ;)

But I did experience how this is supposed to look because I also configured Firefox for Delicious. So, if I can't use IE, and if I want to continue using Delicious, I may have to change my default browser. Or download IE 7 and see if that works any better.

On a positive note, I can definitely see the possibilities! The biggest plus is being able to access Favourites from any computer!! Coordinating bookmarks between work and home PCs is such a cumbersome process -- or maybe I just haven't figured out an efficient way of doing this.

After I get the browser issue sorted out, my next experiment will be to import my currently bookmarked Favourites. I have a ton of these and, while they're fairly well organized, it'd be great to cross-reference in multiple categories -- much easier than saving one Favourite multiple times! But I can see this being a fairly time-consuming process, as I'd imagine I'd then need to go in and apply tags after importing. Perhaps I'll start with a small test using only one category of bookmarks.

As for Delicious' networking ability, while it's interesting to see the types of sites people have bookmarked and to see who else has bookmarked my own selected sites, I don't know that I would get into sharing. At present, the key benefit (for me) still appears to be the ablity to organize and cross-reference, particularly according to my own method of categorization.

By the way, I tried to find Library Lady's (or Betty Blogger's) bookmarks -- no Betty Crocker, so perhaps I was trying the wrong user name...

1 comment:

Library Lady said...

Bwahahahahaha!

(evil laugh)