...it would seem as though we have a forum for building and sharing of ideas with minimal effort. But it must be more difficult than it appears, particularly as layers are built within a wiki. Personally, I found it difficult just to search for information on one flat page, so I'm not sure how one would go about constructing a more complex site that might be subject to heavy editing.
The YouTube demo was very interesting but it did raise some questions about how such online collaboration would be tracked. While I wanted to try editing some entries in our Thanksgiving Dinner list, I didn't think that others would necessarily appreciate the "intrusion". Further, without documentation, it would seem as though entries could be posted with little accountability on the poster's part.
Therefore, while I can see the potential usefulness of such an application, personally, I would want to somehow track who was adding/deleting what.
I do use Wikipedia frequently so, now when I go back into it, I will pay greater attention to its structure and content.
By the way, if you read my previous post, you will likely be able to guess which is my dinner contribution; it's the cognac or rental dishes. All potential cooking disasters averted!
Tuesday, August 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hi Zanet!
Actually, you can monitor the changes. 'Tis the beauty of being the moderator. There are all sorts of settings you can apply to a wiki, and permissions you can grant people. I gave our class open access, but I could have given you "read only" permission or perhaps "administrative" abilities.
In all instances, I can see who has accessed the wiki, and who was made changes. I can even see at what time the change has been made, if they formatted anything, or if they changed anyone elses contribution.
Hope this helps!
Aha! Your comments caused me to go back to the site and explore a bit more. I now see how users, themselves, can monitor "recent activity". Though, in looking at "recently edited changes", I now can't figure out how to SEE all the changes; some have a red "plus" sign, which exposes the revisions, however, other "starred" revisions remain hidden (or so it seems). I suppose the only way to get a real sense of all the features is to try setting up my own wiki! ;)
Post a Comment