Okay, I tried to be objective and to shake my preconceived biases against Facebook...
I suppose I can "get" what all the fuss is about; people wanting to feel connected. I guess I'm just not so concerned about that; I have my own outlets for maintaining/developing connections. Nor can I see why I'd want to share personal information with a bunch of strangers.
Actually, I'd expected to find more information about the people I'd looked up. All I could see were lists of "friends", so I guess users' profiles are more secure than I'd anticipated. So my curiosity remained unsatisfied, as I didn't want to add "friends" just so I could see their profile! ;)
Besides, I continued to use a pseudonym, and I didn't fill in any personal info on my profile. So no one would even know who I was! Alas, I suppose I'll never be found... And I won't have more "friends". Boo hoo :( Okay, I'm being sarcastic; can't help it, as the whole "will you be my friend" thing just strikes me as rather schoolkid-ish.
That being said, perhaps I'll take a closer look at some of the groups; but, in some initial browsing, I didn't find anything that would entice me to join (and spend more time at the computer!). Frankly, I was amazed at some of the things that turned up even when doing a search for "Burlington Ontario"! These groups seem awfully fragmented for an application aimed at fostering networking and connections ;)
So perhaps Facebook isn't as scary as I'd thought. Though I guess it's impossible to judge this without plunging in -- using my real name, adding personal info, adding "friends". I've heard enough stories about how difficult it can be to remove one's info that I'm not keen on pursuing the experiment. Maybe if I become housebound or something I'll change my thinking but, until then, I'll give it a miss.
Wednesday, August 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
If you'd like a good laugh about Facebook, check out THIS video.
Thanks to Tambourini for pointing it out!
Post a Comment